DISPUTE RESOLUTION IS ALL ABOUT COMMUNICATION WITHOUT EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION CONFLICTS CAN NOT BE RESOLVED
Over the span of more than forty years, I have studied law, negotiation, mediation and arbitration, have practiced all of them and have also judged. I have taught post-secondary law courses, written for national magazines, and done radio and television. My professional life has been centered in effective communication.
I’m ready to help you communicate well during your negotiations. And should you need me to mediate a business or property dispute, I am here to do that. I have drawn on my training and experience over more than forty years as a lawyer, negotiator, mediator and arbitrator and Deputy Judge to help clients resolve their disputes.
I was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1976. In 2000 and 2001 I completed introductory and advanced training in negotiation, and mediation. In 2003, I obtained a Masters degree in alternative dispute resolution, LL.M (ADR), from Osgoode Hall Law School. I was appointed a Deputy Judge of the Ontario Small Claims Court in 2013. I am in my seventh year assisting litigants as a Deputy Judge in settling their cases and in deciding motions and conducting trials. In 2018 I was accredited by the ADR Institute of Canada (Ontario) as a qualified arbitrator and in 2019 was designated a Chartered Arbitrator. I also sit as Tribunal member on the professional discipline committee of the Ontario College of Opticians.
I have taught post-secondary level law courses and have also studied journalism. My journalism skills led to magazine writing, and to radio and television broadcast. My professional life has been centered in communication. My experience in these areas has taught me some simple truths that are often overlooked. Those who succeed in resolving conflict do so because they are honest, factual, open to listening, and responsive to others. In other words, show boaters who are loose with facts and speak without thinking or listening don’t do very well.
Whether you need coaching, an experienced negotiator, mediator or arbitrator, I am here to help you.
2019 – Designated Chartered Arbitrator ADR Institute of Canada
2018 – Qualified arbitrator, ADR Institute of Canada
- 2003 – LL.M. (ADR) – Osgoode Hall Law School, York University;
- 2001 – Certificate in Advanced ADR, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor;
- 2000 – Certificate in Introductory ADR, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor;
- 1976 – Called to the Bar of Ontario.
- 1974 – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Faculty of Law, McGill University, Montreal, Que.
- 1971 – Bachelor of Arts, Joint Honours in History and Political Science, McGill University, Montreal, Que.
- Member: Markham Board of Trade: 2020
- Member: Richmond Hill Board of Trade: 2020
- ADR Institute of Ontario; Ontario Bar Association (ADR Section)